Freddy told me. He thinks I’m crazy. Other coworkers around agreed with him. Or at least they didn’t disagree.
Freddy: I read your blog. You’re crazy. What’s it called when you have voices in your head?
Freddy: Yeah, that.
Instead of concentrating on that conversation and the fact that the Lead in my group diagnosed my multiple personalities, I concentrated on the fact that it took reading my blog for him to figure that out. Do you know what that means? They actually think that I am normal at work. Man, I’m good.
Reasons why they think that I am normal:
- My signature on emails looks like all the other SQAs (Software Quality Assurance Testers) in my group – nothing there about the crazies in my head.
- My desk is just as messy as the other SQAs.
- I work a 9-5 job.
- My emails sound quite professional (unless you’re a developer and you tell me to “stand by” for a new release of an application – how could I NOT reply with “standing” and therefore lie about the fact that I was sitting in my ergonomically-happy chair?).
- My voicemail message sounds fairly normal.
- MOST people call me Lauren.
- I wear jeans and a collared-shirt on most days.
- I type really fast.
- I stare at the clock waiting for 5pm.
- Most of my sticky notes posted around my cube are boring and work related (e.g.: “InputString1: String, InputCurrency1: Currency, TFS2358-4490331, TFS2361-4490332 – what? It makes sense to ME).
Reasons why they might not think I’m normal.
- Sometimes I send emails that say, “Standing…”
- I check my email at midnight or on vacations.
- I draw cartoons in meetings about Stacky defenestrating another coworker, Bret.
- A FEW people call me things other than Lauren – like Skinny, Man-toes, Larrie, and Trashy.
- I’m really tan.
- I type really fast.
- There are the other sticky notes in my cube that say not-so-boring-work-related things (e.g.: “Dear Lauren, I love you. Love, Someone Secret.”).
- I don’t smoke or drink coffee or alcohol.
- I rarely swear and am not obsessed with sex.
- I blog about my normalcy or lack thereof.
- And a Bush calendar hangs on my cubicle wall with pictures of many of my coworkers taped up next to him; they LOVE being placed so that George puts a loving arm around them!